The Institute in collaboration began in 1974 with the UNDP designed and fabricated an integrated small scale processing equipment (SSPE) comprising
- Rotary stripper
- Horizontal digester
- Hydraulic hand press and
Further improvements have been made to the equipment and the hydraulic hand press has been replaced with a digester screw press
To cater for the needs of different categories of farmers/processors, NIFOR has designed and now fabricates three categories of the SSPE namely
The NIFOR Large: 0.5 -1.0 tonne FFB/hr, capable of processing FFB from 50-100 hectare plantation
The NIFOR Medium: 0.25 -0.5 tonne FFB/hr, designed for farmers with holding of 20 – 50 hectares.
The NIFOR Mini: Designed for farmers with less than 20hectares, and appropriate for cottage palm oil production.
The NIFOR SSPE
- is robust, efficient and cheap and reliable compared with imported mills of similar capacity.
- is simple and has no problems of installation.
- fabricated locally at NIFOR and widely copied by other local fabricators
- has an extraction rate of 18%
- has a processing efficiency of 90% and produces palm oil with free fatty acid (ffa) content of about 2 – 5% and moisture content of less than 0.2%
- it is time and labour saving.
Economic analysis of the NIFOR SSPE shows high returns to investment even in the first year of operation.
Development of palm kernel recovery unit: NIFOR has also designed a palm kernel recovery unit comprising
- A nut fibre separator
- A nut cracker and
- A kernel/shell separator.
This unit can be integrated with any of the categories of the NIFOR SSPE or run separately as a palm kernel mill. The features of this unit include
- extraction efficiency of 78% and
- capacity of over 1.0 tonne palm nuts per hour
An upgraded version of the nut cracker, the automatic palm nut cracker/kernel-shell separator capable of handling one tonne per hour of nuts has been designed and fabricated.